Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I'm Still-Standin' - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

A fellow teacher said to me today, about a student who appeared to be on another planet when told directions, "You've got to be REALLY still to have the whole world revolve around you." I laughed at this insight at the time, but now I see how deep this really is.

People who "expect" the world to revolve around them are often some of the most stationary people. They often are the ones stuck in the past, or lazy, or un-aware, etc., etc. Those of us who are too insanely busy to be still but for the few lone moments before we pass out on our beds at night, realize the insanity in expecting anyone to revolve around us. We consider ourselves lucky when we don't get a flat driving around and around doing the revolving ourselves. But we revolve around ideas, not people. We revolve around the ideal that we will be successful, or that we will do everything possible for our loved ones, or that we will do the best we can that day and leave the next day's expectations to fate. So, although I'm thankful for the few moments I get when I can be still, I realize that it's action that "makes the world go 'round," so-to-speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment